The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School becomes our charity

29 Sep

(Could you please imagine a rather wonderful trumpet fanfare?) I’m delighted to announce that the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, where Jeremy Northam trained, has agreed to be The Jeremy Northam Blog charity!

This year, it will be Jeremy’s 50th birthday, and I wanted to do something special to show our appreciation for Jeremy’s work. Many actors prefer charitable donations in their name to personal gifts, so this seemed like an appropriate and respectful thing for us to do for our very private favourite actor. We will be able to send our good wishes to Jeremy and help other actors become the Jeremy Northams of the future. The School has trained many distinguished actors, including Patrick Stewart, Jeremy Irons, Pete Postlethwaite, Miranda Richardson, and Daniel Day-Lewis.

Jeremy Northam in 'The Voysey Inheritance' at the NT, for which he won an Olivier in 1990

I will be giving you more information in a future blog post about the Theatre School and the work it does, including how funds will be used to help students.

So, how will we be able to send good wishes to Jeremy and help the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School? There will be an online Just Giving page where we can make donations and leave a message for Jeremy. Jeremy can view the Just Giving page, and he will be sent (via his agent) a regular update of funds raised in his honour.

In addition, the Blog and Jeremy’s fansites will be running some sponsored events you can get involved with, plus some auctions*. There will be more information about the sponsored events and auctions very soon, but I am delighted to be able to tell you that the Theatre School have already offered some tickets to one of their performances, plus a chance to see some of their students in rehearsal, as auction lots. So start saving up now!

As Berowne, 'Love's Labour's Lost', RSC at the Barbican, 1994

I have seen a Just Giving page in action for actor Toby Stephens, raising funds for LAMDA where Toby trained. This fund is in place with Toby’s knowledge and blessing, is very well (and respectfully) run by his fans, and Just Giving moderate the comments on their pages.

As regular Blog readers will know, we can’t expect Jeremy to actively participate, but he does know what we are doing. Of course, I hope we keep it running after Jeremy’s birthday so it’s possible to wish him good luck when a new film opens or tv drama is broadcast, and for future birthdays.

I hope you are as excited about this as I am! Please do check back often as there will be updates and more information very soon.

*If you are able to donate something for us to auction, we would be more than delighted. Please contact me if so: henrysmummy@talktalk.net

by Gill

12 Responses to “The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School becomes our charity”

1. Gayle Cooley September 29, 2011 at 11:02 am #

I am very excited about this. What a wonderful idea you have come up with Gill!
    hugs,
    gayle

• Gill Fraser Lee September 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

I’m glad you like it, and thanks for your support and encouragement. x

2. Roe Tifft September 29, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Dearest Gill,

My dear, you have outdone yourself. OUTDONE YOURSELF ON JEREMY’S BEHALF AND FOR OUR GREATJOY AND BENEFIT. I know this will help others and indicate to
    Jeremy just how much his fans care for him and wish him only the very best. This sort of
    activity only means that we reach more people on Jeremy’s behalf and shows the
    respect we have for his talent and art, his humanity and person. I cannot thank you
    enough for all you do and have done for him. It is the right thing to do – reaching out.
    Sincerely, and Love to you, his fans and Jeremy, Roe, and I am proud to be one of them.

• Gill Fraser Lee September 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

Dear Rosie, thank you so much for all your support. x

3. LauraP September 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

What a great way to celebrate JN’s birthday and his work in general! It’s a terrific idea! Thanks for setting this up, Gill.

• Gill Fraser Lee September 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

You’re very welcome, Laura. I have an important job for you … will be in touch! Don’t worry, it’s a nice job, honest! x

4. Jennythenipper September 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Does this mean I CAN’T send him the sweater I knitted him, then?

Seriously, though, Great job, Gill. High five up top!

• Gill Fraser Lee September 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

The one with Robert Donat’s face on it? Sure, I bet he’ll love it πŸ˜‰

5. Robyn Wildman September 29, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

This is fantastic, Gill!! What a great way to show support for Jeremy and help develop new talent to follow him! Thanks for putting it together!

• Gill Fraser Lee September 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

You’re welcome, Robyn. I hope we’ll all enjoy it too πŸ™‚

6. Martina October 2, 2011 at 8:48 am #

Hi Gill, thank you very much for your great initiative! That sounds very promising and makes sense!
    Because of no experience with online actions and auctions I have to admit that I cannot entirely get an idea of it, for instance how I must imagine the auction and so on. I surely will watch this place for further information! Anyway this would be a very special contribution for a certain decadal B-Day!
    x Martina

1. Jeremy Northam to appear in ‘Hay Fever’, February 2012 « The Jeremy Northam Blog - October 8, 2011

[…] Davies, like Jeremy, has links to the Bristol Old Vic (Mr Davies worked with them in the 1970′s and Jeremy trained there) and there’s a […]