New audiobook from Jeremy Northam

10 Feb

Jeremy Northam has established himself as one of the most sought after and skilled audiobook performers, garnering excellent reviews for his intelligent interpretations of novels including Brideshead Revisited and Our Man in Havana.

I’m delighted to be able to tell you that Jeremy has, yet again, been spending time in a recording studio on behalf of CSA Word audiobooks. He’s just completed an unabridged reading of  Homage to Catalonia, George Orwell’s account of his experiences in the Spanish Civil War, first published in 1938.

Homage to Catalonia recounts the truth of the situation as Orwell, a political journalist as well as a novelist, saw and experienced it.

George Orwell

His descriptions of the fighting between factions nominally on the same side and his unflinching observations made the book unpopular on publication, but today its honesty and Orwell’s undoubted skill as a writer make it invaluable as an accurate document of the time, so much so that it has been used in Catalan schools.

It will, of course, be considerably enhanced by Mr Northam’s perceptive and skilled interpretation.

This is the second George Orwell book Jeremy has recorded for CSA Word. The other is his wonderful reading of Down and Out in Paris and London, of which more very soon.

Homage to Catalonia will be published by CSA Word in May this year. It’s already available to pre-order at Amazon UK: http://tiny.cc/fg4oa.

by Gill

12 Responses to “New audiobook from Jeremy Northam”

1. joan aka HazelP February 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Great news. Another wonderful addition to Jeremy Northam read audio books. Jeremy N seems to be the premier reader/narrator in the UK. Now, if we could only get some information about an upcoming film/play/TV show…..

• Gill Fraser Lee February 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Jeremy is a wonderful audiobook reader, I agree.

Thanks very much for spotting that audiobook is available to pre-order at Amazon UK, Joan.

2. Robyn Wildman February 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

Yipee!! At least something new to look forward to. I’d never read Orwell prior to listening to Down and Out in Paris and London. I enjoyed it very much. I just watched A History of Britain, and during the last section,it contrasted Churchill and Orwell to illustrate the changes happening during the period. Knowing a little more about him makes the idea of reading this even more appealing. Off to preorder!!

• Gill Fraser Lee February 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm #

I enjoyed Down and Out enormously, and am looking forward to this one very much.

3. Emily Sonders February 12, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Jeremy has a wonderful voice for book reading.
    I only have The Silver Chair.
    I will research all the books he has recorded.
    Down and Out in Paris and London sounds fascinating
    as well as this recent Orwell.

• Gill Fraser Lee February 12, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

There are many to enjoy, Emily. Amazon, iTunes, Audible and Silksound books should be able to help with most if not all of them.

4. Martina February 12, 2011 at 10:34 am #

I was slightly tempted to think “anything is better than nothing” – but no, I`m very pleased to hear that, thank you Gill for finding out.
    Another, call it weird, idea crossed my mind: what if he does with his second read of George Orwell his usual perfectionist preparation and study for a role??
    George Orwell`s actions and life would be heavyset stuff, though his sad ending.
    Mr. Northam certainly is brainy enough to fill the part.
    Anyway, I´m looking forward to May 2011!

• Gill Fraser Lee February 12, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

You’re most welcome, Martina. I found out by happy chance. Serendipity!

5. LauraP February 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

This is great news, Gill! Thanks for the “scoop.”

It’s been said before, but I really WOULD listen to Jeremy reading from the phone book–he’s that good a reader and his voice is that wonderful!

The Spanish Civil War, eh? Sounds like the “Intellectualizer” has struck again… 🙂

• Gill Fraser Lee February 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

He really is the master ‘Intellectualizer’, it’s true!

6. Cornelia February 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

This is a great blog and I love Jeremy, but PLEASE lose the reverse type–it’s impossible to read!

Cornelia

• Gill Fraser Lee February 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

I’m glad you like the blog, Cornelia. If you find the text difficult to read, you can subscribe to receive posts by email. They won’t be white type on black.