Jeremy Northam joins the cast of indie film ‘A Late Quartet’

10 Jan

After his foray into US television last year (Miami Medical), it seems Jeremy Northam has decided to hold out for a quality film project and boy does he seem to have found it! As announced a short time ago in Variety, Jeremy joins Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken and Catherine Keener in Yaron Zilberman’s A Late Quartet, an indie film project which originally had Ethan Hawke attached to it and which is already attracting quite a buzz. The cast are rehearsing in New York City and filming begins at the end of January.

Philip Seymour Hoffman

At the time of writing, who is playing which character has not been confirmed, but we do know that the plot revolves around a string quartet who, as they approach their 25th anniversary, have to cope with one of their number leaving as a result of developing Parkinson’s disease.

Yaron Zilberman shares writing credits with Seth Grossman. The only other credit I can find for Zilberman is his moving 2004 documentary, Watermarks, which charts the story of the Hakoah Vienna Jewish womens swimming team of the 1930s, their forced separation, and their reunion decades later. Here is the Watermarks trailer:

Seymour Hoffman is a powerhouse, a name to conjure with, and his involvement alone should lead us to expect much from this project. Suffice it to say, I’m excited! More information to follow when we have it …

Here is the press release:

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, JANUARY 10, 2011 – Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, Jeremy Northam and Christopher Walken have joined the cast of A LATE QUARTET, the highly anticipated upcoming indie feature from first-time writer/director Yaron Zilberman.  Principal photography is scheduled to begin late January 2011 in New York City.

Hoffman, Keener, Northam and Walken play a world-renowned string quartet struggling to stay together as they mark their 25th anniversary in the face of illness, competing egos and insuppressible lust. Imogen Poots and Liraz Charhi also co-star.

“I’m thrilled to have been given the opportunity to collaborate with such incredible actors,” said Zilberman. “I couldn’t imagine a more perfect cast to embody the characters of A LATE QUARTET.”

Based on his original story, Zilberman wrote the script with Seth Grossman, and will be producing along with his producing partner Tamar Sela through their Opening Night Productions banner. Also producing: Vanessa Coifman, David Faigenblum, Emanuel Michael and Mandy Tagger. Executive Producers are Adi Ezroni, Cassandra Kulukundis and RKO Pictures’ Ted Hartley.  The film will be produced in association with Concept Entertainment, Spring Pictures and Unison Films.

A LATE QUARTET also features a prestigious production team including director of photography Frederick Elmes (SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK), production designer John Kasarda (Revolutionary Road), costume designer Joseph G. Aulisi (Taking Woodstock) and casting director Cassandra Kulukundis (There Will Be Blood).

The film will be Zilberman’s debut feature after his 2004 Awards Winning documentary Watermarks about an Austrian woman’s swim team in the 1930s.

LATEST NEWS: Jeremy has left this movie and has been replaced by Mark Ivanir. Variety reports that this is due to scheduling conflicts, which we can interpret as meaning Jeremy will be working on a different project (as yet unannounced). Of course, as soon as there is further news, I will let you know.

by Gill

14 Responses to “Jeremy Northam joins the cast of indie film ‘A Late Quartet’”

1. Ansie January 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

To say that this is wonderful news is an understatement! Late Quartet sounds like a fantastic project for JN. And what a great cast! I’m already looking forward to seeing the film.

Thanks for the marvelous news, Gill.

• Gill Fraser Lee January 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

You’re welcome, Ansie! As you can imagine, I was VERY excited when I spotted the press release! It’s great news, and I’m delighted for Jeremy!

2. Rosamond Tifft January 10, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Thank you Gill dear for THE FABULOUS NOTICE. If I see anything on the film or filming, I’ll take note and share. I was thinking,You have to go where you’re wanted and Jeremy is wanted in the US and I don’t know what Indie pictures pay but I do know that his co-star, Oscar winner and all and his co-stars are major and seasoned. He will be playing with some of the finest as he did in “Gosford Park.” I’m proud he comes our way again and again. As far as I am concerned, he can take out dual citizenship and I’d be over the moon. Still, I selfishly hope he never loses his essential Englishness, it’s part of his greatness. Not all of it by any means.

• Gill Fraser Lee January 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

I quite agree, this is a wonderful cast, and we know that Jeremy is more than good enough to hold his own in such company. We are in for a treat! USA seems to be where the work is, and I envy him working in New York: a city I’ve always longed to visit, but sadly never will.
      You raise an interesting point, Rosie … will Jeremy play an English character? We’ll have to wait andf see!

3. Ana January 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

So very pleased to wake up to this news today! The project sounds perfect for JN. [If I remember my early days as a fan, I’m sure I recall reading that he learned the viola as a kid, and we know he plays the piano. While he is very self deprecatory about his skills, ::at the very least:: he will be able to appear on screen, holding and appearing to playing the viola credibly LOL] Very much looking forward to reading more about the project as news comes to light. Re the power house that is Hoffmann, he’s done some work here at the Sydney Theatre Company, as he’s a friend of Cate Blanchett, the Artistic Director. I love actors, like him and JN, who go where the work is, and are not primarily after the rewards.

4. Ana January 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

Sorry, my apologies – was overly excited and managed to cast him already! Of course we don’t know what part he’s playing, nor which instrument, if any!

• Gill Fraser Lee January 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Don’t worry Ana, if you’re half as excited as I am, it’s perfectly understandable!!

5. LauraP January 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

O Happy Day! Finally some news about a new JN project and it sounds like a terrific one!

We knew he was holding out for a great role and he didn’t disappoint us. Thanks for the great news!

• Gill Fraser Lee January 11, 2011 at 10:13 am #

O Happy Day indeed! I’m so delighted for Jeremy, and for us!

6. Mary January 11, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Thank you for your article. It is simply a very great pleasure Jeremy in a circle so great actor to be seen. The theme of the film suggests that the stakeholders have high demands.

• Gill Fraser Lee January 11, 2011 at 10:14 am #

You’re welcome, Mary! I think we have a treat in store, and I really hope Jeremy enjoys his work on this new film. x

7. Martina Eisel January 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

This news made my day when I read it! Nonsense!, made my year! I really can understand and fully share your excitement, Gill! And when I´m reading all the comments here and at the JN Chat there is one thing, that is crystallising out: we, his true devotees, are delighted not only because of us but at first f o r h i m, that h e can finally do, what he apparently loves most: namely acting, working in his chosen profession, which he does so masterfully. Perfect symbiosis, imho. So I´m looking forward to guess, speculate and discuss everything concerning “A Late Quartet” that lies ahead of us.

8. joan aka HazelP January 21, 2011 at 2:29 am #

It would appear that this Italian site had information on the cast of A Late Quartet on December 19th, but, for some reason, nothing appeared during any Google searching. We would have been very excited and it would have been q Christmas present for us! I am looking forward to the film which sounds

9. joan aka HazelP January 21, 2011 at 2:31 am #

To finish my thoughts (hit the wrong key)….as if it would be the type of film to lure me to a movie theatre. Hopefully, it will be in wide release and bring Mr. N the honors he so richly deserves.