‘Dark Matter’ by Michelle Paver, read by Jeremy Northam, a treat in store

21 Sep

It’s at about this time of year that my grandfather always used to say ‘Aaah, the nights are drawing in …’. I’ve always loved the darker, colder months, perverse though that may be. And winter just isn’t winter without the additional chill of a genuinely scary ghost story. This year, Lord Halifax’s Ghost Book will be getting a rest whilst I sit by the fire, because I intend to spend my fireside evenings with the audio recording of Michelle Paver‘s new book, Dark Matter, read by none other than Mr Jeremy Northam.

Published by Orion on October 21st, alongside the novel in print and e-book form, here is a synopsis from Orion’s website:

January 1937.
Clouds of war are gathering over a fogbound London. Twenty-eight year old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he’s offered the chance to be the wireless operator on an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it.
Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway: five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year. Gruhuken.
But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He faces a stark choice. Stay or go.
Soon he will see the last of the sun, as the polar night engulfs the camp in months of darkness. Soon he will reach the point of no return – when the sea will freeze, making escape impossible.
And Gruhuken is not uninhabited. Jack is not alone.

Something walks there in the dark.

A terrifying 1930s ghost story set in the haunting wilderness of the far north.

To chill your spine still further, here is the atmospheric trailer for the book (which, sadly, is not voiced by Jeremy).

The audiobook and novel are currently available to pre-order at Amazon UK, and the Orion website has details of other outlets and all the formats available.

12 Responses to “‘Dark Matter’ by Michelle Paver, read by Jeremy Northam, a treat in store”

1. Martina September 22, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

There you are! A long hoped-for sign of life of Mr. Northam and even better than assumed – an audio-work done by the “don” (as Sue Arnold of “The Guardian” called him in her review after listening to “Brideshead Revisited”). Though his fans do concede him a break from certainly hard film business it is such a pleasure that Jeremy has made the most of his time.
    I also have a special liking for autumn and winter (which sometimes gets me an incredulous glance) – I consider it the best time for listening to a certain melodious, manly and beautiful voice reading a creepy story to me! Thank you very much Gill, for introducing the “Dark Matter” to us!
    (Hopefully I´ll grasp it but I trust in Jeremy`s ability of proper speaking)

• henrysmummy2003 September 22, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks Martina. I feel sure we’re going to really enjoy being scared out of our wits! I’m glad I’m not the only one who sighs with pleasure when the leaves begin to change colour … and this year we have more reason to sigh than usual! 😉

2. LauraP September 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm #

How very exciting!! A new audiobook reading by Jeremy Northam is a cause for celebration!

How well Martina phrased it: a “melodious, manly and beautiful voice.” I’d listen to that voice read anything!

This book sounds scary good. My husband loves a good ghost story, so maybe we’ve found a JN project to enjoy together–finally! 😉

Thanks so much for the update, Gill!

• henrysmummy2003 September 24, 2010 at 8:04 am #

It does sound scary good, Laura! I think I might just listen by flickering candlelight, if I’m brave enough!

3. Ansie September 24, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

This sounds great! I love the synopsis and the far north setting. Sounds very intriguing! And, what a terrific choice to pick Jeremy Northam as the reader!! This book seems like a very different genre for him and I’m eagerly looking forward to reading/hearing Jeremy read Dark Matter.

Thanks for the update Gill!

• henrysmummy2003 September 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Thanks Ansie. It’s not too long to wait. Just the right amount of time to look forward to it, I think. 🙂

4. jules September 24, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

Looking forward to this one – I’m not a ghost story fan, but with Jeremy Northam reading I reckon I will be converted!

• henrysmummy2003 September 24, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

I can imagine you *might* just force yourself, Jules 😉

5. Ryan October 2, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

I’ve read this book (got sent a proof copy) and it is amazing. Very chilling and scary in places. Such a good book! Can’t wait to hear the audiobook!

• henrysmummy2003 October 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Hi Ryan, that’s really good to know. I admit, I’m really looking forward to the audiobook (now, more than ever!). I’m looking forward to your review. Please do post a link to it here when you’ve posted it.

6. henrysmummy2003 October 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm #

Thanks very much Ryan, great review! I’ve included a link to it in my latest blog post: https://jeremynorthamfanblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/dark-matter-a-sneak-peek/
    Great news today about Michelle Paver winning the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize for ‘Ghost Hunter’!