Miami Medical update and Jeremy Northam Night no. 2

20 Jul

Having finished its all too short run in the USA, much to the disgust of its loyal fanbase (who are vowing to boycott CBS for cancelling it far too soon despite good viewing figures) Miami Medical is now airing in Sweden (congrats to the Swedes, fabulous trailer!)

and in Hungary (where, like all their imports, it’s dubbed…it seems such a crime to replace Jeremy’s Northam’s glorious voice)

and also Portugal. For the rest of us not fortunate enough to live in any of these countries, we must wait for the DVD release, which IS coming, and my latest update from exec producer Jeffrey Lieber is that he hopes to have it all tied up by the end of August. A lovely post holiday treat, I’d say! There ARE already some websites offering DVD sets of Miami Medical for sale. These are not legal, please don’t get caught out.

Meanwhile, why not join in with our newly instigated Jeremy Northam Night? Last week, by popular demand, we watched Emma and it was a huge success. This week, we are choosing between Cypher, The Winslow Boy and Dean Spanley. You can vote for which you’d like us to watch here: Jeremy Northam Night Poll.

Here’s a quick taster to help you make up your mind.

Cypher (2002, dir. Vincenzo Natali), in which Jeremy delivers a tour de force performance as company man Morgan Sullivan, may come as somewhat of a surprise to people who are used to seeing Jeremy in his period drama roles. Sullivan is recruited as an industrial spy, and soon both he and the viewers realise that all is not as it seems. Cypher is fast-paced and visually impressive and will keep you guessing right to the end.

Vincenzo Natali said: I cast Jeremy not particularly because he’s British but because he’s one of the few leading men who is also a character actor. We needed those two things in the person who played Morgan Sullivan because he does transform so dramatically through the course of the film. I think if people who haven’t seen the movie were shown a scene from the beginning and then a scene from the end I don`t know that they would recognise Jeremy because he really did disappear into the role. I was very lucky to get him, he did an amazing job.

Miami Medical fans may also spot Kari Matchett who played Dr Proctor’s love interest Dr Sable.

The Winslow Boy (dir. David Mamet, 1999) will be a well-loved favourite for many of Jeremy’s fans. Based on a true story, The Winslow Boy is an old-fashioned (in the best sense) drama (adapted by Mamet from Terence Rattigan’s stage play) about what happens when a boy is accused of stealing a five pound note and expelled from naval college (and what happens when a suffragette meets an arrogant, conservative but deeply charismatic lawyer). Jeremy gives a memorable performance as Sir Robert Morton.

Dean Spanley (dir. Toa Fraser, 2008) is one of Jeremy’s most recent film roles. Based on a now obscure short story by Lord Dunsany, it boasts an enviable ensemble cast, each member more than holding his own. Jeremy narrates the story of his character’s less than perfect relationship with his father (Peter O’Toole) and what happens when they meet a cleric (Sam Neill) who re-visits his past life as a dog when he is plied with Imperial Tokay (a rare liqueur). Despite a lack of publicity and only a limited cinema release (it has also, to date, not been made available on region 1 DVD), its reputation is continuing to grow by word of mouth.

David Cairns, film reviewer, said: It’s an intelligent weepy. It creeps up on you and then gently wrings your tear ducts till they squeak. In dealing with our relationships with our pets, and making a connection to our other, human, relationships, it’s skating on some thin ice, with a treacly Tokay of sentiment just below the surface, but I didn’t feel manipulated: instead I felt that the film illuminated something true about these strange “friendships” we form with animals. (See David’s full review here: My Life as a Dog).

Don’t forget to vote!

16 Responses to “Miami Medical update and Jeremy Northam Night no. 2”

1. Gayle Cooley July 20, 2010 at 11:16 am #

Wonderful mini reviews of the three films. Surely, we can’t go wrong with any of them, but needing a bit of a bittersweet cry, I am hoping Dean Spanley has us for Friday Night.

I am still missing Dr. Proctor and gang though, and very angry at CBS for being such miserable Yahoos when it comes to programming choices, yet again.

• henrysmummy2003 July 20, 2010 at 11:25 am #

Thanks sweetie! 🙂 I think I might end up watching all three! I can cry at all of those!

As for Miami Medical and CBS, yes, ‘miserable Yahoos’ is about right.

2. Robyn Wildman July 20, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Gill,

This is great! I think Jeremy’s performances in “Cypher” and “The Winslow Boy” are his best. And I love Dean Spanley. I hope this helps more people join in for Jeremy Northam night, and that JN night helps get more people exposed to a wider variety of his roles (and buying the DVDs).

3. Mary July 20, 2010 at 11:25 am #

Mr Northam, what they have fans nice and intelligent. Again, almost a hymn of her work.

4. Rosamond Tifft July 20, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

I just loved and admire the three mini-reviews and the research on the directors, is this from henrysmummy? and or other clever members? because it is excellent work. Now, I love Jeremy’s work in THE WINSLOW BOY. I love the late Nigel hawthorne and his work and the character actress who plays the maid but I watch it for Jeremy. I don’t much like the director’s wife in this which is unfortunate, for me at any rate, Rebecca Pigeon or Pidgeon, either way, no way for me. But, for Jeremy alone and for that last line he so perfectly delivers, I await the entire film. I also like the young boy who plays the innocent who is accused. I don’t live in UK and should not really vote, in fact, but just wanted to chime in cause I like the way this is done and Jeremy, of course.

• henrysmummy2003 July 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

Roe, you are perfectly entitled to vote, votes are accepted from anywhere in the world!
      Thank you so much for your kind comments and your observations about The Winslow Boy. This was the movie that cemeted my admiration for Jeremy’s acting skills.
      I know quite a lot of people have issues with Rebecca Pidgeon’s portrayal of Catherine Winslow. She can seem a little too modern, but if you can square that with her suffragette status, then it can help with accepting her performance. For me, anyway.
      I have to agree about the final line, it never fails to give me a thrill of excitement!

5. Rosamond Tifft July 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

I’m chatting a bit too much, just want to thank you for your response and you were very kind and helpful about my bias against Rebecca Pidgeon, which I felt terrible writing but which just bubbles out of me whenever I think of Jeremy’s performance which I think is so right and romantic and I always wish he had a different partner to act with, say Kate Winslet or someone even newer. However, I shall endeavor to find more to love in her performance, after all, it’s what we have and it makes him seem even more wonderful somehow. Normally I’d be of the suffrajette style, but I always think, what is she crazy that she cannot see he is divine and her former beau very uninteresting, to say the least. A bit of Pride and Prejudice there. How wonderful was Rattigan, the best writer of plays…Thank you again. The End.

• henrysmummy2003 July 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

Roe, I’m always happy to chat about Jeremy’s work! I’m delighted that you are interested.
      I have a copy of Rattigan’s play and it’s very interesting to see how much and exactly what Mamet added to the story. One significant example is that the wonderful final scene is not Rattigan’s…
      Thank you so much for your comments 🙂

6. Jennythenipper July 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

I wonder if Hungary is like Poland in that they have one guy who does all the dubbing for every imported movie and tv show? It makes watching American TV hilarious, but yes it would be tragic to loose those dulcet tones.

• henrysmummy2003 July 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Maybe! Still, even SEEING him on ‘real’ tv must be a treat. There’s a Spanish dubbed ‘Emma’ on YouTube…I nearly did myself a mischief laughing at Spanish Jeremy!

7. Rosamond Tifft July 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

I would not be a bit surprised to find that there is one little man trapped in a booth, glad for the paycheck, offering up the same intonations to both THE PRICE IS RIGHT, if it’s still on, ok, WHEEL OF FORTUNE, JEREMY and LAURENCE OLIVIER or maybe REX HARRISON. I’d fully expect Rex to march back from the grave in utter horror. I’m looking forward to purchasing Jeremy thanks to your mentioning that it’s soon to be out. I buy all that I can that is near and dear, if I can afford. I also rewatch at any given chance..something my spouse cannot understand. Each time, for me, the experience is FRESH. Best, Roe

8. henrysmummy2003 July 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

I’m imagining Rex’s outraged ghost storming a foreign language tv station!

• Rosamond Tifft July 21, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

I know of no genius performer so brilliant in exasperation or comedy or both than Rex and I could see him doing it too. I smiled, thank you for that!