Jeffrey Lieber is sanguine about Miami Medical’s cancellation

20 May

Miami Medical viewers are still reeling from the announcement that our favourite show has been cancelled. I spoke to Jeffrey Lieber today, creator and exec producer, to see how he felt about it and what’s next for him and the cast…

Fans of Miami Medical are feeling shocked and disappointed about the show’s cancellation. It seems CBS have been pretty brutal this time around with quite a few shows not being renewed. How are you feeling about the way things have panned out?

I’m sanguine, if disappointed. I know — given a Fall launch in the flow of a television season — that we could’ve added to the very loyal (and very cool) audience that found us on Friday… at 10… in April… starting on Good Friday. That said, in the end, we made a show we are ultimately proud of. Once you make it, what happens to… when the networks schedules it… what the dynamics of the TV season are… what the new pilot looks like… is really out of one’s control.

Have you had a chance to touch base with any of the cast? Needless to say, we wondered if Jeremy had any thoughts about the cancellation?

I’ve talked to or tried to talk to everyone. Great people. As for what Jeremy thinks… I’ll respect Jeremy’s privacy and allow him to react if/when he feels like it.

Presumably, there are things, storyline-wise and otherwise that you had planned for future episodes that now won’t happen: can you let us in on a few ‘might-have-beens’?

We really wanted to bring in an irritant for season #2. Another doctor who drove everyone batty with his lack of decorum. We also really wanted to do a dark night of the soul episode… where patient after patient comes in beyond hope… where the victory is just saving ONE life. As for love interests and things like that… we were still feeling things out. We had no real plans to get our characters in bed together any time soon. GA sort of has a corner on that market at the moment.

Dr Proctor is such a fascinating character, created by you and built on and realised by Jeremy. People have really responded to him. You mentioned when we spoke last time that you and Jeremy had a collaborative approach to working. Can you give us some specifics on things that Jeremy added to Proctor and the show?

Jeremy was just very vocal about wanting to feel like everything that came out of his mouth was authentic. So, when he felt as if we’d written something that was inconsistent with his understanding of the character… he’d pull me aside and ask questions. I’d say 75% of the time, we’d change the line on the spot and the other 25% I’d express my strong feelings on the moment and he’d find a way to make it work.

You mentioned that the discussions you had with Jeremy right at the beginning played a part in persuading him to come on board. Do you think you might work together again?

That really depends on whether Jeremy wants to jump back into the rigors of American television. He’s a truly gifted actor, but TV can be one hell of a grind… different from British TV or film.

We’re all really looking forward to Friday’s episode, An Arm and a Leg, knowing you’ll have saved some great stuff for the finale. Can you give us some of your famous teasers?

Well, I’ll say that we conceived of the trauma on a Monday and then one of the other writers walked into the offices that Wednesday with an article of JUST THE SAME INCIDENT. It was as if we’d conjured it up. Also, the Dr. C. run in this episode is pretty great and the end… the end just makes me smile every time I see it. Black Eyed Peas, baby!

CBS are going to show the pilot episode again on May 28, and then the five episodes originally slated for season 2 after that. What can we look forward to in those episodes?

These episodes are great, BUT they are going to seem a little bit out of time. See, we were well into the shooting of the first 13 when we realized/were told we’d only be able to air 8 in the first season. We decided then that we’d adjust the order of what we had and then — when we got to season #2 — we’d do some reshooting to the additional 5 to make them part of the new flow. Now that they are going to get tacked on to the end of season #1, we’ll have to blog a little blurb to explain when they were supposed to go in the flow.

In what seems like a really short time, we’ve all grown very attached to the cast and to you and want to support what you all do next. You mentioned you have another project you’re working on for Jerry Bruckheimer: can you tell us anything about that yet? And what about the others (Mike, Lana, Elizabeth and Omar)?

I’m going back to work for JBTV on a couple of fronts. I’m going to write for The Whole Truth (ABC, Wednesday, 10PM starting in the fall) created by Tom Donoghy and I’m developing another pilot for next season. What will it be about… stay tuned. As for the others… all are back to work. Mike shot an independent film in Oklahoma (I believe) and is off to do another now. Lana has been in Hati teaching a film school and will soon be doing an episode of a TNT show. Lis is scheduled to come out in Robert Zemekis’ Mars Needs Moms. And Omar… Omar’s always moving and shaking… making movies/music. This will sound like I HAVE to say this, but all five of the actors on the show did us proud day in and day out.

I think we’d all like to say that EVERYONE did a great job, thank you all very much. And thanks very much to Jeffrey for letting us have his thoughts, we wish him and everyone involved all the very best with their next projects. The Jer Blog will be sure to keep you updated on what, where and when!

Sue at The Exploding Egg also spoke with Jeffrey today, you can read her interview here.

You can catch the next episode of Miami Medical, An Arm and a Leg, tomorrow at 10pm on CBS. It features the track 7 Seconds, from Law of Numbers. You can read more about that here.

13 Responses to “Jeffrey Lieber is sanguine about Miami Medical’s cancellation”

1. Mary May 20, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Good conversation, thanks Gill

2. Bess May 20, 2010 at 9:02 pm #

Thank you so much for doing these interviews! I’m very impressed with Mr. Lieber’s gracious good nature, and his little insider tidbits are really nice to have. It’ll be sad to not get to see my dear JN every week after July, but it was so nice while it lasted.

I wonder what he’ll do next…*happy but wistful sigh*

• henrysmummy2003 May 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

You’re welcome, Bess. Jeffrey Lieber is indeed very generous to the fans of his work, and I’m very grateful he’s made himself so available to SueVo at The Exploding Egg and to me. It’s been wonderful to get his insights, especially those on how Jeremy works on a role.
      I agree, it has been lovely to see Jeremy every week, but I suppose we are used to him being a luxury treat rather than part of our staple diet! As soon as I know anything about what Jeremy is doing next, I’ll be sure to post it here. 🙂

3. Glaros May 20, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Thank you for this interview, Gill, I enjoyed reading it. Special thanks for the interesting questions about Jeremy Northam.

As far as he is concerned – if his intention was to try out something new and to bring himself into mind in the USA, maybe it didn’t work out that bad for him after all.

I hope he will be offered an interesting film project – or another TV-series, if he is inclined to do it. Only the idea that he could focus on the stage doesn’t please me. It will definitely not be a stage on my archipelago.

• henrysmummy2003 May 20, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

I agree, Glaros, maybe Jeremy will now get a choice of roles that perhaps otherwise might not have come his way. He’s always talking about his frustration at being cast in similar roles (period roles, mainly, he seems to have had enough of), and Proctor will certainly show him in a different light. He has an excellent comedic touch, for example, which he has not been called on to use often enough.
      I think Jeremy found the workload arduous (as do all US tv actors), reading between the lines of what has been said, so he may not feel able to take that on again too soon. We’ll watch and wait, as ever!

• Glaros May 20, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

You are probably right. I interprete it the same way as you – Jeffrey Lieber’s words sound like a hint that JN is rather sick of the american TV-business.

• henrysmummy2003 May 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

I don’t know that I would interpret it as him being sick of it so much as finding it very tiring. But maybe after a rest he will think about it again if the right project were to come his way.

4. LauraP May 21, 2010 at 6:48 pm #

Thanks for this terrific interview, Gill. I can’t get over what a class act Jeffrey Lieber is. I join you in wishing him good luck in his future endeavors. He deserves better than CBS gave him.

• henrysmummy2003 May 21, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks Laura! Jeffrey is The Man and deserving of much success.

5. Mandy July 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

I love the show. I hope another network picks it up!

6. Carol Furman June 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

You always take off the good shows that only have one season under their belt.They all are not great ,but you don’t give them a chance to get better.A lot of these crime shows that are on,don’t have to be on It only gives the criminals ideas,on how to get away with it.A good medical story doesn’t get a chance.thank-you for giving my opinion.

1. Miami Medical: Post-Cancellation Interview With Jeffrey Lieber « Exploding Egg - May 21, 2010

[…] Jeffrey Lieber is sanguine about Miami Medical’s cancellation […]